When I play go, I have a problem that I struggle to find the patience for strategic thinking. I combat this problem by doing strategic thinking when my opponent is playing and tactical thinking when it's my turn. Yesterday I realised the parallel with pair programming, i.e. tactical thinking when at the keyboard, and strategic thinking when away from the keyboard. Both are important.
BlueFruit Software in Redruth (which, by the way, is a great company to work if you're looking for a job as an embedded developer). I was reminded of something Paul mentioned to me a while back that relates to pair-programming. He and a friend played go against other people on a server. Their go rankings were 8k and 9k respectively. Interestingly, they then played against other people as a pair. And their joint-ranking went up to 6k. Paul writes:
email me. I love travelling (especially to places where you can fly-fish for atlantic salmon) and meeting new people. There is often no charge but I do ask you to cover my travel expenses.
past cyber-dojosI no longer keep this list updated...
- Agile on the Beach conference, 5th-6th September 2013, Falmouth, U.K.
- C course for Cisco, in Chennai, 29th-31st July 2013
- C course for Cisco, in Bangalore, 24th-26th July 2013
- Geoffrey Dunn (@gd_twit) installed and ran a cyber-dojo in Sydney, Australia, 26th July 2013
- Cambridge Software Craftsmanship meetup, organized by Ceri Shaw, 18th June 2014, in Cambridge, U.K.
- Malooba startup, with Errol Chavannes, 23rd May 2013, in Falmouth, U.K.
- IDBS with Brian Hobbs, 21st May 2013, in Guildford, U.K.
- Agile Adria conference, 22nd-23rd April 2013, in Zagreb
- ACCU 2013 conference 10th-13th April 2013, in Bristol, U.K.
- SkillsMatter's 3 Day Agile Development course, 25th-27th February 2013, in London
- Synch-Norwich meetup, 24th January 2013
- C++ patterns course for Cisco, in Oslo, 20th November 2012
- With Chris Vaux at GCHQ, 16th November 2012, in Cheltenham, England
- For Ericsson, 13th November 2012, in Croatia
- Ed Sykes ran a recruitment cyber-dojo 24th October 2012
- Vincent Baur (of Schlumberger) ran another C++ cyber-dojo with even more attendees in Clamart (suburb of Paris) on 23rd October 2012
- Olve Maudal (of Cisco) ran a cyber-dojo, 10th October 2012, in Oslo
- SkillsMatter's 3 Day Agile Development course, 26th-28th September 2012, in London
- At a BCS SPA meeting, 2nd October 2012, London
- Mark Chen (of Schlumberger) ran a C++ cyber-dojo in Calgary on 26th September 2012
- Vincent Baur (of Schlumberger) ran a C++ cyber-dojo in Clamart (suburb of Paris) on 24th September 2012
- Mike Long and James Grenning ran a full day coding dojo workshop in Houston, USA, week of 10th September 2012
- At Agile On The Beach conference, Cornwall, England, 7th September 2012
- For Aviva, in Perth, Scotland, 13th-15th August 2012
- For Cisco, in Bangalore, India, 31st Sept - 4th August 2012
- SkillsMatter's 3 Day Agile Development course, 18th-20th June 2012, in London
- at IKON 12th-14th June 2012, in Teddington, England
- Mike Long ran another big cyber-dojo for 32 people in Beijing, Thursday 17th May 2012
- After attending the Scandinavian Developer Conference Emil Jönsson ran his own cyber-dojo
- At Skillsmatter's Progressive Java tutorial London, 14:00pm, Friday 4th May 2012
- at the bar in the evenings at the ACCU conference, Oxford, 24th-28th April 2012
- Scandinavian Developer Conference, as part of a Mastering Agile Practice tutorial co-run with Kevlin Henney, 18th-19th April 2012
- At Skillsmatter's London office, 6:30pm, Thursday 5th April 2012(not the 3rd)
- Ericsson in Helsinki, Finland, 19th-20th March 2012 (read blog-entry)
- Agile Riga in Latvia, 17th March 2012
- at Manpower, in Uxbridge, England, with Steve Brownett, 22nd Feb 2012
- Ericsson in Budapest, Hungary, 8th Feb 2012
- Ericsson in Helsinki, Finland, 18th January 2012
- Olso Coach Camp in Norway, 7th January 2012
- Opera in Oslo, Norway, 15th December 2011
- Mike Long used cyber-dojo during the Global Day of Code Retreat in Beijing, 3rd December 2011
- XP Day 21st November 2011, London, England
- SkillsMatter's 3 Day Agile Development course, 9th-11th November 2011, in London
- Ericsson, 3rd November 2011, Helsinki, Finland
- Diamond Light Source with Mark Booth, 28th October, Didcot, England
- IKON 27th October, in Teddington, England
- Ericsson, 20th October, in Budapest, Hungary
- Lars Thorup ran a TDD coding dojo using cyber-dojo at the Silicon Valley Code Camp 8th-9th October
- Agile .NET Europe in Zebrastraat, Ghent, Belgium, 10th, 11th October
- Ericsson Agile Conference, 20th-21st September, Helsinki, Finland
- Tampere Goes Agile conference, 17th September, Finland
- Agile on the beach conference, 15th-16th September, Falmouth, England
- Agile Lean Europe conference, 7th-9th September, Berlin, Germany
- McAfee, 31st August, Aylesbury, England
- Jeremy Lightsmith and Gary Bernhardt tried to run a TDD coding dojo using cyber-dojo at the Agile 2011 conference, 7th August, Salt Lake City, Utah
- SkillsMatter's 3 Day Agile Development course, 3rd-5th August, in London
- Mott MacDonald in Croydon, 21st July. Read blog entry
- Olve Maudal (@olvemaudal) ran a cyber-dojo in San Jose, California, 23rd June
- with Kevlin Henney (@kevlinhenney) in a 2 day version of our Mastering Agile Practice course, 21st-22nd June, for CommaSoft, in Germany. Read blog entry
- Erik Bakstad (@ebaxt) and Johannes Brodwall (@jhannes) ran a cyber-dojo at JavaBin, Oslo, Friday, 17th June
- Mike Long (@meekrosoft) ran a cyber-dojo at Schlumberger, Oslo, Friday 17th June
- NDC conference, 8th-10th June, in Oslo, Norway. Read Gil Zilberfeld's blog posting.
- Software Craftsmanship conference, 26th May, at Bletchley Park, England.
Read Jean-Laurent Morlhon's (@morlhon) blog writeup (original in French)
- Absolute software 24th May, in Redruth, UK
- SkillsMatter's 3 Day Agile Development course, 4th-6th May, in London
- Olve Maudal and myself ran a cyber-dojo (at the bar!) during the ACCU 2011 conference, April 13-16th, in Oxford
- Kevlin Henney and myself used cyber-dojo as part of our ACCU 2011 pre-conference tutorial , A Day of Deliberate Practice, April 12th, in Oxford
- Kevlin Henney and I ran a Day of Deliberate Practice partly using cyber-dojo in our DevWeek 2011 Post-Conference Workshop, 18th March, at The Barbican Conference Centre, London
- The return of cyber-dojo, Oslo Coding Dojo meetup, Wednesday 16th February, 6pm at The Scotsman, Karl Johan's Gate 17
Read David Kowalski's blog writeup
- Opera in Linköping, Sweden, January 17th-20th 2011
- Alex Graff ran a cyber-dojo at Pinesoft where he works.
- Lean Kanban eXchange conference, December 3rd
- XP Day London conference, November 29th, 30th
- Pure in Kings Langley, Herts, 16th November
- GothPy meetup, Göteborg, Sweden, 3rd November
- JAOO 2010 conference Aarhus, Denmark, 4th-8th October
- Agile Cambridge 2010 conference, UK, 15th October.
Read Simon Prior's blog writeup.
Read Paul Grenyer's blog writeup.
- ACCU London meeting, hosted by SkillsMatter, 16th September.
Read my blog entry
- JavaZone 2010 conference Oslo, Norway, 8th September
- Trondheim Coding Dojo Norway, June 30th, 2010.
Read Anders Hammervold's blog writeup
- NDC 2010 conference Oslo, Norway, June 16th-18th.
Watch Scott Bellware's video
- XP 2010 conference Trondheim, Norway, 1st-3rd June.
I ran one session with Jeremy Lightsmith on Tuesday morning. Together with Olve Maudal I ran another session at the Open Space on Thursday evening
- Oslo Coding Dojo Norway, 18th May 2010
- ACCU 2010 conference Oxford, UK, 14th-17th April.
I ran three cyber-dojos with Olve Maudal.
Read my blog writeup
Read Mike Long's blog writeup