Christopher Avery gave an excellent keynote and spoke about the difference between accountability and responsibility; you are accountable to someone else but responsibility is personal.
He presented his six step ladder of responsibility:
- Lay Blame
Christopher handed out a sheet expanding a little on the six step ladder above.
- Responsibility is owning your ability and power to create, choose, and attract. It's about your ability to make a response - to respond.
- Obligation is doing what you have to do instead of what you want to. As always, if you listen carefully, you can hear this distinction in patterns of speech "… but I have to …".
- Justify where we attempt to rationalise the blame, to use excuses for things being the way they are; we make things just in our mind.
- Shame is laying blame on oneself (often felt as guilt).
- Lay Blame (which is not a French verb ;-) is holding others at fault for causing something.